There is a lot of truth in an old slogan you sometimes hear in twelve step fellowships: “Talking about the spiritual part of the program is like talking about the wet part of the ocean”. Recovery is an inherently spiritual journey. What people do when they do the twelve steps, for example, is a series of spiritual practices — all of which have long histories in the Christian tradition (e.g self-examination, confession, making amends, prayer, meditation). The emphasis on ‘journey’ makes it clear that spirituality is a process, it takes time, it must be ‘practiced’. We hope these videos and articles will help you to take the next step in your own spiritual journey.
- Spirituality and Recovery An eight-session study guide on Spirituality and Recovery by Kim Engelmann based on the Spirituality and Recovery video series (see below).
- Recovery from Distorted Images of God. A 12 part video workshop by Juanita Ryan exploring the origins and impact of distorted images of God as well as pathways to healing. Over six hours of video. Includes a leaders’ guide. Purchase options available here
- Surrender: Dying to Self
- Spiritual Abuse
- Videos on spirituality and recovery
Notice that file sizes are quite large. Make sure your hard drive has room before ordering!
Two companion volumns of essays are available here
- God’s Silence
- Open Your Soul Wide and Say: “Ah”
- Parental Silence
- The Way to Serve. . .and Love
- I Suck at Empathy
- Seeing Myself in Others
- Awakening Through Rest
- Waking Up: A Moment Of Clarity
- Minding the Gap
- I Don’t Want God to Love Me
- My Joyful Lent
- Why Is Spirituality So Hard for Pastors?
- Spirituality and Recovery
- Recovery from Doubt: Experiencing God
- Recovery from Spiritual Distress
Articles on Toxic Spirituality
- Seeing God in New Ways: Recovery from Distorted Images of God
- Recovery from Spiritual Anorexia
- If your god is not God, fire him.
- Spiritual Abuse in the Pulpit and the Pew
- When You Are Ready To Try Again: Going Back to Church
- When Religion Goes Bad: Part 1
- When Religion Goes Bad: Part 2 — Religious Addiction
- When Religion Goes Bad: Part 3 — Religious Codependency
- Spiritual Abuse: An Interview with Jeff VanVonderen
- Breaking Free:What I’ve Learned About Spiritual Abuse
- Spiritual Brokenness in Recovery