Most of the lectures in this course were part of a class on “Pastoral Care and Addiction” taught for many years at Fuller Theological Seminary by Dr. Dale Ryan. So what you will find here is the kind of material that might be helpful to pastors-in-training.
Many of these lectures contain references to the ‘forums’ – these were part of the class when it was taught at Fuller. No forums are currently available for discussing this material.
There is a LOT of material here – almost 12 hours of video. If you want to view all of the content I recommend watching, at most, two presentations a week. Take your time.
- Defining Addiction and Recovery [52 min]
- Biblical Images of Recovery [26 min]
- How Big a Problem is Addiction? [23 min]
- Addiction and Racism [63 min]
- America as a producer of addictive substances [26 min]
- America as a consumer of addictive substances [45 min]
- History of Recovery [56 min]
- Are there ideas foundational to recovery? [45 min]
- What do people do when they do recovery? [39 min]
- An Introduction to the 12 Steps [60 min]
- A Brief History of Penitential Spiritual Practice [52 min]
- The Addicted Family System – Part 1 [39 min]
- The Addicted Family System – Part 2 [47 min]
- Attitudes Toward People with Substance Use Disorders [39 min]
- Christian Recovery Ministry and Social Location [51 min]
- Recovery Ministry in the Local Church [39 min]